He continued in that area albeit representing Insurers at Page Seager Lawyers before reverting to a wholly Plaintiff’s personal Injury Practice with Watling Roche Lawyers which became Hilliard and Associates which he ran until its merger with Slater and Gordon in 2012. Until he moved to the Bar in 2016 Brian was the Practice Group Leader for S&G in Tasmania.
Brian has appeared as counsel in the Supreme Court of Tasmania, the Federal Court of Australia, the Magistrates Court of Tasmania, the AAT and in other tribunals including most notably in the Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation Tribunal where he has many years of experience.
Brian was the instructing solicitor for Graeme Coote in his action against Forestry Tasmania, which was eventually decided in Graham’s favour in the High Court of Australia after decisions in the Supreme Court of Tasmania and the Court of Appeal in Tasmania (Coote v Forestry Tasmania). Brian was also instructing solicitor for Holly Raper in the recent Raper v Bowden matter in the Supreme Court of Tasmania.
Derwent & Tamar Chambers
128 Macquarie Street
Hobart, Tasmania 7000
Telephone: 03 6220 6000
Facsimile: 03 6220 6001
DX 214, Hobart
Admitted to Practice: 1991
Also Admitted in: High Court of Australia
- 2012-2016 Slater and Gordon (practice group leader, Tasmania)
- 2002-2012 Hilliard and Associates (principal)
- 1998-2002 Watling Roche Lawyers (manager and senior practitioner Hobart Office)
- 1995-1998 Page Seager Lawyers (solicitor)
- 1992-1995 Mclean Phillips and Bartlett (solicitor)
- 1991-1992 Wilson Dowd Lawyers (articled clerk and lawyer)