He is regularly briefed in franchising matters for both franchisees and franchisors, including:
- advising franchisors on commercial arrangements;
- competition law compliance strategies; and
- in relation to disputes, including the provisions of the Franchising Code.
Doug has acted both for and against many well-known national franchise groups and is highly regarded for his practical and commercial approach as well as his technical knowledge and expertise as an advocate.
Doug’s expertise in the regulatory space includes frequently acting for parties who are investigated or prosecuted by the ACCC for:
- anti-competitive conduct including price fixing, cartel conduct and alleged misuse of market power;
- allegations of misleading conduct; and
- alleged breaches of statutory warranties.
He negotiates settlements and undertakings with the ACCC for clients and regularly designs compliance programs as part of those settlements. He is available to act as an independent compliance program auditor.
Doug is also regularly briefed in matters involving the Director of Consumer Affairs and other regulators.
He has an extensive advisory practice and has acted for clients in e-commerce and internet retailing as well as in the petrol, cement, insulation, shipping, rail, consumer electronics, power tools, bread, leisure accommodation and computer software and services industries.
Doug appears for clients in government inquiries.
Doug is a past Chairman of South East Water Limited, Chairman of the Victorian Water Industry Association and a Commissioner of the Taxi Services Commission. He appears at and conducts mediations in corporate disputes and advises in relation to corporate governance.
Doug is joint sub-editor of the ‘Snapshots’ section of the Australia Competition and Consumer Law Journal.
Bachelor of Law
University of Melbourne 2002
Bachelor of Agricultural and Resources
La Trobe University
Australian Law and Economics
Australian Institute of Company
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission v The Joystick Company Pty Ltd  FCA 397 (2 May 2017) - civil penalty hearing seeking orders by consent for misleading and deceptive advertising of e-cigarettes
- Director of Consumer Affairs Victoria v Marlo Woods (Australia) Pty Ltd  (24 June 2016) E13095145 - contested civil penalty hearing for product safety notice breaches where previous contraventions of similar provisions
- Tickner v The Boat Clinic Pty Ltd (Civil Claims)  VCAT 2062 (4 November 2015) - claim for declarations that money not owing under agreement to repair yacht
- Francis v Eggleston Mitchell Lawyers Pty Ltd  FCAFC 18 - appeal to Full Court against decision at trial to not annul bankruptcy
- In the Matter of Fehring Livestock Pty Ltd (In Liquidation)  VSC 326 - dispute about the appointment and fees of an administrator
- Francis v Eggleston Mitchell Lawyers Pty Ltd (formerly Eggleston Mitchell Lawyers)  HCATrans 232 - summons in original jurisdiction of High Court of Australia
- Bahonko v Casey City Council  VSCA 310 - enforcement of debt for council rates
- Stevens v Director of Consumer Affairs Victoria (Occupational and Business Regulation)  VCAT 947 - unlawful fund raising
- Phillips v Australian Finance and Leasing Limited  VSCA 287
- French v Queensland Premier Mines Pty Ltd and Ors  VSCA 287 - concerning Torrens title and mortgage obligations