Kate joined the Bar in 2010 after 10 years practising as a barrister and solicitor for the Legal Aid Commission of Tasmania.
Kate has experience in a broad range of legal areas and for over 20 years has appeared as counsel at trial and on appeal in the Supreme Court of Tasmania and the Federal Court of Australia.
Kate’s general litigation practice includes professional discipline, estate, commercial, environmental, personal injury and professional indemnity matters. Kate is a Deputy Chairperson of the Tasmanian Racing Appeal Board, a member of the Anti-Discrimination Tribunal and the Parole Board of Tasmania and a Criminal Injuries Compensation Commissioner. In addition, Kate is a director of the Motor Accidents Insurance Board, vice-chairperson of the Mosaic Support Services and a member of the Council of Obstetric and Paediatric Mortality and Morbidity and the Attorney-General’s Sentencing Advisory Council. She has co-ordinated the Magistrates Court Practice and Advocacy Module of the Tasmanian Legal Practice Course for a number of years.
Kate is the current Secretary and Treasurer of the Tasmanian Bar has been a member of the Bar Council since 2014.
- Graduated from University of Tasmania with Bachelor of Laws with First Class Honours 1998
- Graduated from University of Melbourne with Bachelor of Arts in 1993
- Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors Course in 2013
- Member of the Anti-Discrimination Tribunal since 2011
- Member of the Mental Health Tribunal since 2013
- Deputy Chairperson of the Tasmanian Racing Appeal Board since 2010
- Member of Council, The Tasmanian Bar since 2013
- Legal Practitioner with Legal Aid Commission of Tasmania from 1999-2010
- Research officer with Tasmania Law Reform Institute, 2003-2007
- Member of Project Team, Mental Health Diversion List, Magistrates Court of Tasmania from 2007-2009
- Board member, Theatre Royal Management Board since 2011
- Board member, Cosmos Inc since 2009
- Board member, Contemporary Art Tasmania, since 2012