In 2015 Mary Anne joined the Tasmanian Independent Bar after 13 years as a barrister and solicitor engaged in civil, criminal, family law and child protection litigation.
Mary Anne has had carriage of and appeared as Counsel in multiple ground-breaking and innovative family law cases in the Family Court of Australia and the Federal Circuit Court of Australia which have made significant contributions to the development of case law.
Mary Anne is regularly been appointed as an Independent Children’s Lawyer in the family law jurisdiction and as the Separate Representative in the child protection jurisdiction.
Although, Mary Anne has special interest in survivors of trauma, mental health and family violence cases; she is regularly briefed in all types of matters before Courts including property and child support matters.
Qualifications and Admissions:
- 2002 Admitted, Supreme Court of Tasmania and the High Court of Australia
- 2001 Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of Tasmania
Board & Committee Memberships
- 2019 to present Member Guardianship & Administration Board
- 2019 to present Council Member Tasmanian Independent Bar
- 2020 to present Member Ethics Committee of the Australian Bar Association
- 2016 – Present Member Family Law Committee of the Law Society of Tasmania
- 2004 – 2013 Committee Member of Family Law Practitioners Association of Tasmania
- 2013 – 2018 Member Litigation Committee of the Law Society of Tasmania
- 2009 – 2019 Board Member of Hobart Women’s Shelter
- 2014 – 2018 Chair of Hobart Women’s Shelter Board
- 2010 – 2011 President of Australian Women Lawyers
- 2010 – 2011 Member Equal Opportunity Committee of the Law Council of Australia
- 2006 – 2011 Board Member of Australian Women Lawyers
- 2006 – 2011 President of Tasmanian Women Lawyers
- 2003 – 2013 Committee Member of Tasmanian Women Lawyers